***Attention: Teachers*** - New Online COA Process - download PowerPoint presentation outlining guidelines to help you with the process
COA Student Required Forms:
Student Personal Folder Checklist
Student Employment Agreement
Student Work Experience Checklist
400 Hours Policy Form
School Restaurant/Catering Log
Student Workplace Validation Form
Certificate of Achievement (COA) and Examination Information
The ProStart® National Certificate of Achievement (COA) is awarded to those students who successfully complete both the academic and the work experience requirements of the ProStart® program.
Why do I need to earn a national certificate (Certificate of Achievement-COA)?
- It will show future employers that you are serious about a career in the foodservice industry
- It's your FIRST credential on your way to many more
- It demonstrates to others that you have met national standards
- It allows you to receive credits to select colleges
- It makes you eligible to compete for ProStart scholarships designated only for certificate recipients
What do I need to do to earn the industry certificate (Certificate of Achievement-COA)?
- Pass the national exams for both Level 1 and Level 2
- Create a student folder/portfolio (ProStart folders can be ordered through the ORAEF)
- Obtain all necessary signatures on the school's employment agreement and make a copy for your portfolio
- Complete 400 hours of mentored internship (Up to 200 hours can be in your school restaurant or in-school catering). Minimum 200 hours must be in a mentored worksite. Copies of pay stubs or employer letter must be documented. Log or letter from ProStart instructor must be documented.
- Complete the Student Workplace Competency Checklist to be completed by your mentor/employer. It must be signed by your employer/mentor.
Submit items along with the completed (top part only) of the Student Work Experience Requirement Validation Form.
If I don't pass the exam, can I take it again?
- Students who do not pass the exam can retest as many times as they want however, there is an examination fee for each test.
NEW - ProStart Students can now print their own copies of the Certificate of Achievement (COA),
COA Process Instructions